Maybe you have noticed that some firms market themselves as practices dedicated to helping mothers or fathers caught up in child custody, support, visitation and other types of family law-related disputes.

At Cohen Law, I work with mothers, fathers, grandparents and others throughout the Binghamton area who have vested interests in protecting the relationships they have with the children in their lives.

To Assert Your Parental Rights, You Have To Know What They Are

In the past, most people assumed that after a divorce, minor children would automatically fall under the care of the mother. However, New York, like many other states, no longer operates under such a presumption. Still, with changes to legal and social attitudes, many men still suffer from outdated assumptions regarding a father's role.

Having worked with both mothers and fathers caught up in custody, paternity and support disputes for over 40 years, I have witnessed firsthand the importance of having both parents involved in a child's life. This could mean pursuing joint custody, helping a father or mother overcome interference from the custodial parent, or even fighting for a father's right to be the custodial parent of his children. Ultimately, I want to help parents maintain a strong relationship with their children, account for the health and overall welfare of their kids, and achieve a sense of fairness on behalf of my clients.

Whether you are a working mom, a stay-at-home dad or an unmarried parent, if you are caught up in a dispute regarding custody and access to your children, it's important that you secure the services of an experienced family law lawyer. These types of disputes are among the most contentious in family law. Instead of allowing your emotions to get the better of you, I can work closely with you, explain your rights, and help you assert those rights in the most efficient and effective manner possible.

A Family Law Attorney Helping Families Protect Their Parent-Child Relationships

Do you need to learn more about unmarried fathers' rights? Regardless of the circumstances, I want to help you take control of your situation.

To schedule a consultation, reach out to me, Laura S. Cohen, at my Johnson City or Binghamton law offices. I work with clients throughout Broome County and the surrounding areas. Call me at 607-798-0088 or take a moment to complete an online contact form.

There is a modest consultation fee for divorce and family law matters.