A Skilled Divorce Lawyer For Asset Division
Perhaps you’ve heard stories about soon-to-be ex-spouses attempting to hide or eliminate wealth and assets to avoiding turning it over during divorce. Although some of these stories have grains of truth, the fact is that with some help, most couples can reach fair and peaceful agreements when dividing their finances during divorce. My practice is designed to help you do exactly that.
Equitable Does Not Necessarily Mean Things Will Be Equal
On the surface, it may seem that you are entitled to an equal portion of property and assets during a divorce filing. However, this is hardly ever the case.
The New York divorce courts will look to see that each spouse comes away with a fair deal based on a variety of factors, including:
- The duration of the marriage
- The health and age of each spouse
- The initial earning abilities of each spouse when they were married and each individual’s earning capabilities at the time of divorce
- Pensions, insurance, and other benefits that either spouse may lose due to the divorce
- Spousal support (alimony) awards
- Each spouse’s claim to property and income at the time of the divorce
- Future earning potential or income of each spouse
- Whether a parent will have custody and his or her need to stay in the family home
- Tax consequences of the divorce
- Whether a spouse attempted to hide or waste marital assets prior to divorce
- Any family-owned or closely held businesses, professional practices, etc.
- Any other factors the courts deem pertinent to the equitable distribution of marital property
When you reach out to The Law Office of Lauren S. Cohen, LLC, you will have an opportunity to work directly with me, attorney Lauren S. Cohen. By sitting down together, having an honest, straightforward conversation, we can determine your options for protecting the property and assets that are most important to you.
When You Need Advice, Turn To A Local Divorce Lawyer
To ask questions and receive honest answers, reach out to me, Lauren S. Cohen, at my Binghamton or Johnson City, New York, law offices by calling 607-821-0100 or 866-539-2596. You can also send me an email by completing an online contact form.
There is a modest consultation fee for Divorce/Family Law matters.