The Law Office of Lauren S. Cohen, LLC
Over 35 Years Of Experience At Your Side
Phone: 607-821-0100
Toll Free: 866-539-2596
Our Practice Areas

How to deal with difficult child support payments

Some divorced parents in New York complain about child support amounts set by courts. These court-ordered monetary obligations could strain a payor's budget, but legal options exist for those struggling to stay current on their child support payments. Ignoring problems like job loss or reduction in income sends noncustodial parents down the unpleasant path of child support enforcement.

Upon losing a job or suffering a similar financial setback, a payor should approach the family court as soon as possible. Petitioning the court to modify a child support order before a custodial parent alerts the state's child support enforcement agency about unpaid child support could reduce the financial consequences. When presented with documentation about income loss, a court might approve a request to lower the payments. This would reduce monetary burdens on the noncustodial parent and potentially prevent the negative consequences of letting support go unpaid for months or years.

A parent could also strive to protect their financial future and meet their duty to provide for their children when the relationship dissolves. Agreeing to unfavorable terms at the time of divorce due to anger might create resentment toward the court or former spouse. When a marriage ends, parents should try to negotiate equitable divorce settlements and present information about their income during the calculation of child support.

The financial decisions made at the time of a divorce could influence a person's life for years to come. However, an attorney could improve a person's ability to resist emotional decisions and gain clarity about legal obligations for paying child support or spousal support and maintenance. Legal counsel might stand up for a client's rights to secure a settlement that represents a fair outcome. With legal representation, a person might negotiate terms that limit the duration of spousal support.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Let's Work Together To Resolve Your Legal Issues. Contact Me Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

The Law Office of Lauren S. Cohen, LLC

Endicott Office
2301 Country Club Road
Endicott, NY 13760

Toll Free: 866-539-2596
Phone: 607-821-0100
Johnson City Law Office Map

Binghamton Office
49 Court St
Binghamton, NY 13901

Toll Free: 866-539-2596
Phone: 607-821-0100
Map & Directions

Johnson City Office
Mailing Address
830 Oakdale Road
Johnson City, NY 13790

Map & Directions