The Law Office of Lauren S. Cohen, LLC
Over 35 Years Of Experience At Your Side
Phone: 607-821-0100
Toll Free: 866-539-2596
Our Practice Areas

3 signs you may need to assert your grandparental rights

Few things are more rewarding than raising good kids. As you age, though, you may look forward to becoming a grandparent. After all, the grandparent-grandchild relationship is often one of the most dynamic ones in society. In fact, a recent study found fewer incidents of depression in both grandparents and grandchildren who had a close relationship. If you cannot see your grandkids, you may miss out on the experience altogether. 

In New York, both biological and adoptive grandparents may petition the court for visitation rights. As you may suspect, though, asserting your grandparental rights is not necessarily easy. Still, if any of the following apply to you, petitioning the court for visitation rights may be your best option: 

1. You worry about the best interests of your grandchildren 

New York family courts always consider what is best for children when determining custody and visitation. While you must have legal standing to request visitation, doing so may be an effective way to ensure your grandchildren have what they need to grow into successful adults. 

2. Your child refuses to allow you to see your grandchildren 

Familial relationships can be challenging. Under ideal circumstances, you have free access to your grandchildren. If your child or his or her spouse refuses to let you see your grandchildren, you may feel powerless. That is not necessarily true, though. By asking a court for visitation rights, you have a legal framework for seeing your grandchildren. 

3. Your grandchildren have been living with you 

Parents are not always available to care for their children. If you have stepped into the shoes of your son or daughter to care for your grandchildren, you likely have created a stable environment. Nonetheless, if your grandchildren’s parents attempt to remove them from your custody, you may need a court order to continue seeing your grandkids. 

As a grandparent, you want to have a positive effect on your grandkids. If you think your relationship is in jeopardy, asking a court to intervene may be necessary. Alternatively, you may be able to negotiate a visitation schedule with the parents of your grandchildren. Either way, you must understand your legal options to know how to protect your grandparental rights.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Let's Work Together To Resolve Your Legal Issues. Contact Me Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

The Law Office of Lauren S. Cohen, LLC

Endicott Office
2301 Country Club Road
Endicott, NY 13760

Toll Free: 866-539-2596
Phone: 607-821-0100
Johnson City Law Office Map

Binghamton Office
49 Court St
Binghamton, NY 13901

Toll Free: 866-539-2596
Phone: 607-821-0100
Map & Directions

Johnson City Office
Mailing Address
830 Oakdale Road
Johnson City, NY 13790

Map & Directions